Friday, April 25, 2008

Fathers...

Today I will be attending the funeral of a college friend's father who passed away this week. Another friend lost his father a bit over a week ago. The deaths have made me think a lot about my life. This year has been a huge transition. It started in July when I had hernia surgery, a few days later I was notified my position would be eliminated at work (with another 10 people from my department).

During this time, I knew I wanted to be more earthly and simple. I started a new policy about "THINGS." I now have a one in, one out policy for any gift or purchase. Essentially if I buy something, I must give away something else. So far, it has worked well. I have reduced the amount of 'stuff' in my possession. This simple life has also included not buying so many groceries, using reusable grocery bags, driving less (when possible), and spending more time with my family and friends.

I am so lucky to be in my late 20's and have a strong relationship with all four of my grandparents, my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. I also have a bunch of friends that support me, and whom I support.

I am such a lucky man.

No comments: