Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Marie Gookin

My Great Grandmother Francis passed away when I was very young, around the age of 2, so I really never got to know her. My Great Grandfather Willard was another story. He was a part of our lives for many years, in fact he only passed away three years ago at the age of 98.

Many years ago he introduced our family to Marie Gookin. She lost her spouse like my Grandad, and quickly became part of our family. She would attend birthday parties, holidays, and family events. She moved to Northridge at the same time as Grandad and then on to the nursing home around the same time.

I always liked having her around, she would never be able to replace my Great Grandmother, but she was very Grandmother-like. She only had one child which died young, and very few other family members. I think she liked being around our extended family.

This past weekend after 94 years of life, 10 of which have been in a nursing home Marie passed away with dignity.

I know she is somewhere looking after her beloved husband once again and seeing all the friends and family she has lost over the years.

God Bless you Marie, I was so glad to know you!

Marie Gookin Obituary

No comments: