My former workplace, Millennium Manuels caught fire this afternoon. According to former co-workers and friends the fire occurred in the roof and their is extensive water damage. Also, there was heaps of smoke that could be seen for miles. Thank goodness, everyone is OK!
Staff, guests evacuated after fire at Taupo resortNew 4:15PM Monday May 11, 2009
Guests and staff have been evacuated from the upmarket Manuels lakeside resort in Taupo after fire broke out in the roof.
Three Taupo fire appliances were in attendance at the blaze and five more were on the way after the alarm was sounded about 3pm, northern fire communications shift manager Steve Smith said.
Mr Smith said all people at the resort were accounted for and there were no reports of injuries .
A local resident said the fire was clearly visible from State Highway 1 although traffic was still flowing freely.
There was a large crowd of onlookers watching the action.
She said the fire had burnt a hole in the roof above the reception area and smoke was still coming it.