Monday, November 13, 2006

Welcome to Stepford...

Destination...Destin, Florida. Last night upon my arrival I didn't know where to go. I was attempting to locate my home for this week in the Sandestin Resort. When I got near to my "home," I realized this is Stepford. Everything is perfect - the trees, the homes, the golf courses, the stores, the pools, the immigrant landscaping workers. The people are perfect, the southern accent permeates throughout the area. One thing that I did notice was the impressive amounts of conservatives. I couldn't find a Democrat political sign anywhere. I couldn't help but realize that Sandestin really is a commune. You must be a member to go into the "village." You must be a member to do any shopping, eating, or exercising.

I have done some research in this "community" with similar principles. Well, these conservatives should call themselves Marxist. Can you believe it? I am not sure why this has made such an impact on me, if it is because I cannot stand conservatives at the moment, or I am continuing to be bitter about having to do so much travel. I am not sure, but it remains interesting for me.

-----------

I really do like the beach here. It reminds me of the soft sand I have felt in Sarasota, FL and parts of Australia. I had a fantastic run that I hope to replicate tomorrow morning. I need to get this weight off!

No comments: