Monday, January 22, 2007

Belize Thoughts...



I am on vacation and had a few minutes of computer access to jot down some of the thoughts I have had, and what we have done...

January 19th, 2007
Andy and I left Des Moines about the same time and arrived in Cancun, Mexico about the same time, although different airlines. We took a taxi with two annoying women from Michigan that said "Mexico looks a lot like Ireland." I will have further thoughts in a later posting. We took the taxi with them down to Playa del Carmen to catch a bus to Chetumal, Mexico (which is on the Belize/Mexico border). We did have some guacamole and beers at a bar next to the beach. We were picked up in Chetumal by the prison warden and taken to the prison for the night. After leaving Des Moines about 7:00 a.m. we arrived at the prison around 1:00 a.m.

January 20th, 2007
On Saturday, we headed off to the capital Belmopan to meet with Mr. Murrillo, the prison accountant. We hung out with his wife and 2 boys and drank amazing Cuban Rum. We then finished the drive down to Cayo and San Ignacio to visit with Anna, a Peace Corps Volunteer. She had a great place on the outskirts of San Ignacio. We then went to dinner at a Mexican joint with beautiful views of the city. After a few drinks with a couple of Andy's friends, it was time for some sleep.

January 21st, 2007
Momma and Papa Price from Belmopan invited us back for some stewed chicken, and beans and rice on the return trip from Cayo. They had an amazing spread and we chatted with Papa Price about the old days in Belize. We then took a tour of the areas of Belmopan that were being redeveloped. This final part of the trip in Belmopan was extremely significant to me, and there will be more about it soon.

Each time I have visited this country it had changed me just a little bit, and this time isn't any different. I have always been trying to put together the Belize puzzle, and feel like I have 400 of the 500 pieces together. There will be many more posts about these feelings and thoughts.

I am currently hanging out at the prison for the day. Tomorrow I am going to be helping the Hand in Hand organization with some type of work. Wednesday and Thursday we are heading to Hopkins for a possible fishing trip. Friday we will head back to Mexico and meet up with some people there.

It has been a great trip so far, and I am looking forward to the next few days. I won't gloat too much about the weather, but remember what a beautiful June day, with a slight breeze feels like.

Much more soon...

No comments: