Monday, August 13, 2007

The Love of Nature...

I love being outside. A couple of weeks ago I was in the western Chicago suburbs for work. I needed to run, some life stresses were making it difficult to focus. I did some searching and found information about the Springbrook Prairie and Pratt's Wayne Woods.

Initially I was skeptical. I didn't think that such a large suburb would set aside hundreds of acres for recreational and nature uses. When I arrived I was so happy. When I did the runs it was very hot, and I have been recovering from a hernia surgery.

The Springbrook Prairie is an open preserve. There are 10 miles of trails in the 200 acre site. There are dog areas, model plane landing strips, and a wonderful wildflower area. It was hot, but I loved the site.

Pratt's Wayne Woods is separated by a few highways but is very diverse. There are lots of areas for horseback riding, picnicking, fishing, and dog walking. There are also lots of trails in the 3,432 acres the park encompasses.

If you are ever in the area, check these places out!

DuPage County Forest Preserves

No comments: