Friday, September 18, 2009

Keeping it Classy San Diego

I have a big week ahead of me, including a birthday that ends in 0. So I thought it would be appropriate for me to go on one of my last minute trips. I actually need to take it because United Airlines is offering double EQM (Elite Qualifying Miles) for trips before mid-December and this one trip will allow me to keep my status for next year.

I started looking for the Special Deals for last minute fares that come out on Tuesday. It usually requires a Saturday departure and a Monday or Tuesday return. It was a banner week for Special Fares from Des Moines and I found inexpensive tickets for lots of destinations.

I decided to allow my 500 Facebook friends the chance to vote on where I should go. Of course, I did have the power of veto at my disposal. The destinations my Facebook Friends had to choose from were:

Albuquerque
Austin
Charleston,SC
Charlotte
Denver
NYC
Palm Springs
Phoenix
San Diego

Within about 3 hours, and after 20 responses it was clear San Diego was the winner and New York City was in a close second place. Part of the draw to San Diego was the fact I have never been there, it is often referred to as the Sydney of the USA, and there are plenty of hostels to choose from.
As, I said this would be a Nick the Traveler trip without some kind of hostel included.

I am not sure what I am going to do in San Diego. I know there are nice beaches, I know I will be scouting some hotels for a friends wedding, and I am sure I will have a great time.



If you have any suggestions about the trip, please let me know by posting a comment!






No comments: